VIP标识 上网做生意,首选VIP会员| | WAP浏览 | RSS订阅

当前位置: 首页 » 食品专题 » 生物名词库 » 生命科学总论 » 正文

Biometrics(生物统计学)

放大字体  缩小字体 发布日期:2006-08-28   浏览次数:57

u Biometrics:

Biometrics refers to the automatic identification of a person based on his/her physiological or behavioral characteristics. This method of identification is preferred over traditional methods involving passwords and PIN numbers for various reasons: (i) the person to be identified is required to be physically present at the point-of-identification; (ii) identification based on biometric techniques obviates the need to remember a password or carry a token. With the increased use of computers as vehicles of information technology, it is necessary to restrict access to sensitive/personal data. By replacing PINs, biometric techniques can potentially prevent unauthorized access to or fraudulent use of ATMs, cellular phones, smart cards, desktop PCs, workstations, and computer networks. PINs and passwords may be forgotten, and token based methods of identification like passports and driver's licenses may be forged, stolen, or lost. Thus biometric systems of identification are enjoying a renewed interest. Various types of biometric systems are being used for real-time identification, the most popular are based on face recognition and fingerprint matching. However, there are other biometric systems that utilize iris and retinal scan, speech, facial thermograms, and hand geometry.

A biometric system is essentially a pattern recognition system which makes a personal identification by determining the authenticity of a specific physiological or behavioral characteristic possessed by the user. An important issue in designing a practical system is to determine how an individual is identified. Depending on the context, a biometric system can be either a verification (authentication) system or an identification system.

u Verification vs Identification:

There are two different ways to resolve a person's identity: verification and identification. Verification (Am I whom I claim I am?) involves confirming or denying a person's claimed identity. In identification, one has to establish a person's identity (Who am I?). Each one of these approaches has its own complexities and could probably be solved best by a certain biometric system.

u Applications:

Biometrics is a rapidly evolving technology which has been widely used in forensics such as criminal identification and prison security. Recent advancements in biometric sensors and matching algorithms have led to the deployment of biometric authentication in a large number of civilian applications. Biometrics can be used to prevent unauthorized access to ATMs, cellular phones, smart cards, desktop PCs, workstations, and computer networks. It can be used during transactions conducted via telephone and Internet (electronic commerce and electronic banking). In automobiles, biometrics can replace keys with key-less entry and key-less ignition.

[ 网刊订阅 ]  [ 食品专题搜索 ]  [ ]  [ 告诉好友 ]  [ 打印本文 ]  [ 关闭窗口 ]  [ 返回顶部 ]

0条 [查看全部]  相关评论

推荐图文
推荐食品专题
点击排行

网站首页 | 关于我们 | 联系方式 | 网站招聘 | 广告服务 | 信息服务 | 版权隐私 | 使用协议 | 客服中心 | 网站地图 | 友情链接 | 网站留言 | 鲁ICP备10014333号
©2008-2011  食品伙伴网 All Rights Reserved